We believe in giving a diverse range of young women every opportunity to live, grow and flourish at Duchesne College while attending university.
The values of the Sacred Heart shape our culture, and we strive to live these values and to invest in others and in our community. We know that financial and social circumstances can prevent some young women from accessing or continuing an education. Through bursaries and scholarships, we strive to embrace diversity and equity and provide a pathway to a Duchesne College life experience for a range of deserving young women.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BURSARY AND A SCHOLARSHIP?
While both bursaries and scholarships provide a reduction in fees, bursaries are means-tested and provide opportunities to candidates in financial need – young women who would otherwise not be able to join the Duchesne College community. Scholarships are awarded based on academic, sporting and/or cultural excellence, irrespective of financial need. Students are welcome to apply for both bursaries and scholarships. At Duchesne, we’re committed to providing a range of opportunities for young women from diverse backgrounds to benefit from the experience of being part of our residential college community.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Following are our guiding principles for Bursaries and Scholarships:
- Providing equitable access to an academic environment that’s conducive to living Christian values.
- Being ready to help students whose financial circumstances might otherwise preclude them from residing at the College.
- Embracing, including and welcoming students from diverse socio-demographic backgrounds.
- Helping students become valuable contributors to College life, with an appreciation for community service and giving back.
- Providing a place that’s conducive to learning and empowers young women to reach their full potential.
- Aspiring to nurture personal growth and spiritual maturity.
BURSARIES & SCHOLARSHIPS
There are a range of bursaries available and the following are offered directly through Duchesne College to offset residential college fees:
- Duchesne College Council Bursary
- The O’Dwyer Family Bursary (this bursary is currently filled)
Applications for 2023 Duchesne College Council Bursaries have now closed. All continuing and incoming residents in 2024 will receive information about how to apply for this bursary.
CREATE CHANGE, CREATE WISE WOMEN CAMPAIGN BURSARIES
In 2021, Duchesne College was given access to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to secure the Duchesne Bursary program into the future, thanks to a dollar-for-dollar Matching Offer from UQ for bursaries (financial hardship places). Our wonderful community came together to directly support women to attend the College, and we are hoping to continue to grow our bursary program further.
The following bursaries were established in perpetuity to support deserving young women:
- Duchesne College Residential Scholarship Bursary
- O’Dwyer Family Duchesne College Residential Scholarship Bursary
Find out more here.
If you’re passionate about supporting current and future generations of young women who may not otherwise have the opportunity to reside in Brisbane to undertake their university studies, please consider giving to the Duchesne College Bursary Fund. If you’d like to know more about this life-changing initiative or how to contribute, please contact Lea Walker-Franks, Director of Advancement, email@example.com or 0419 767 961.
UNIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIPS AND BURSARIES
Every university has an extensive range of scholarships and bursaries. Check out the information provided by your university below: